Sunday, January 16, 2011

Simple Salmon

I spent hours at my computer today archiving creative endeavors from the past four years, and I was curious about the connection between the bountiful feast I made for dinner and my day's work.


"In ancient Eastern Indian mythology, the fish is a symbol of transformation and creation. This is observed in the ancient flood myth in which Vishnu transformed himself into a fish (Matsya) to save the world from a great flood. In this form, he guided king Manu’s boat (which contained the select few survivors & seeds of life to re-create the world after the flood subsided) to safety.
Ancient African creation myths tell of Mangala, the creator, planting seeds in the cosmic womb. From these seeds two fish erupted, and were set forth into the cosmos upon the waters of creation. We see from this myth the symbolic meaning of fish yet again deals with fertility and creativity by embodying a new phase of initial life." -Symbolic Meanings

I'm digging the creation/transformation/fertility vibe, as I have literally emerged from winter hibernation and am joyous at having it in me to be getting things done and put out there! I'm thinking also of spawning salmon and their life giving cyclical return.

This was also my first go at cooking with the wood stove, a major source of life/heat, a womb like structure, a formative method for cooking--my grandmothers both used wood burning stoves in their kitchens. 



A couple of hours before I started dinner, I had three oak pieces going in the stove. I let these burn through and didn't add any new logs to the fire, knowing that I would need coals to cook. If you have live burning pieces of wood, you are likely to burn whatever it is you're cooking. Coals are for cooking.

I started by putting the following in a bowl and mixing it with a spoon:

Salmon Marinade
1 cup Terriyaki sauce
3 Tbls. diced fresh ginger root
1/2 cup brown sugar

Then put the salmon to rest in the marinade for about thirty minutes...I was too distracted to get to it earlier, but the flavors still came through in the final product.

Then I put the brown rice on. Brown rice can take twice as long as white, so you want to get this going first thing.

Brown Rice
2 1/2 cups of water bring to boil
once the water is boiling
throw in 1/2 tsp. of salt
stir in 1 cup of brown rice
cover and turn heat down to low
let this simmer until the rice has absorbed the water
fluff with a wooden spoon
*I'm still looking for an improvement in my brown rice...the end product was a little mushy so next time I'll try a bit less water and let you know what happens.

Meanwhile, I've heated the oven to 350 degrees. I rinsed two whole yams/sweet potatoes and punctured each several times with a fork. I put these as is on the oven rack and cook until fork inserts easily because the insides are done (soft). I served these like baked potatoes, literally plain! They have great flavor all on their own.

Now the salmon is ready to go into the stove. I wrap the salmon in foil, skin side down, slicing a lemon into circles and putting one on top of each salmon piece, and really wrapping the foil tightly around. I spread gray coals to a flat bottom in the stove. I put the aluminum wrapped salmon onto a grill rack, and set this above the coals.





When I could smell the salmon, I pulled it out to take a look and see whether it was done. I always find cooking meat a little scary, since I don't want it to be overcooked and tough, but I also don't want to make myself (or anyone else) sick because it wasn't done! With salmon, I understand that you're looking for a pink/white appearance. You use a fork to peel away the thickest portion, looking for good color. I could tell the first time I brought it out that it still had the fleshy red color--it wasn't done. So back in it went.


Now was a good time to put the kale greens I had on the stovetop. Greens are always the last step, as you want to serve them warm but you don't want to overcook them. Leafy greens tend to be fragile.The burner goes to medium heat, and I put the skillet on to get it warmed. Using a colander I rinse the kale greens, breaking off the stem at the bottom and discarding it. I split the leaves in half and keep the middle stem (stems hold some of the best nutrients). I put the leaves/stems onto the skillet with the water still clinging. A few times I add just a touch of water--an amount similar to what you would use if adding oil--so the leaves can steam cook. I turn the leaves with a wooden spoon until they are bright green. Dust the leaves lightly with kosher salt and plate immediately.

Then the salmon was sizzling so I took it out for a second look, and it was done!




I made a plate for the ancestors, and told myself to just look at what I was eating and think about what I was putting into my body while I ate. So often I find myself browsing the internet or looking at my calendar while I'm eating. This meal was telling me that it was nourishment for my body, inspiration for what comes next. An important expression within life is gratitude, and sitting down to a meal like this--seemingly so simple yet so filled with flavor, is something I am grateful for.

Great with a tall glass of tap water!






No comments:

Post a Comment